Business Manager Jordan Streng and the Union’s staff want to ensure that the members are being kept up to date on the effects that the COVID-19 pandemic are having on our membership and our work picture. We will be updating the membership through regular notices such as this and will be posting on our Website and Facebook page. Updates may also appear on the nightly job-line if they are directly related to the work picture and of an immediate nature.
Please be patient and understand that the Union, the Contractors, and the Owner/Clients are in a rapidly evolving situation and no one entity has all of the answers that we are asking at this moment. We will attempt to keep you up to date on the work, dispatch, and H&W side, but please keep informed through your local and national news feeds for all general information.
We are recommending that all members be prepared for a considerable delay to the start of the spring shutdown season, and the work and pay cheques that come along with it. Current jobs may also be postponed as employers and owners assess their individual jobs and requirements.
- The Union’s General Office and Dispatch will remain open for now, but we are no longer allowing in person visits at the office to ensure services can continue. Please call the office at 778.369.3590, email email@example.com , or visit our Website and/or Memberlink at boilermakers359.org if you require assistance. Our H&W administrator, BG Benefits, can be reached at 1.877.926.4537.
- Lodge 359 is participating in a regularly scheduled conference call with all Canadian Lodges and staff, being chaired by our Boilermaker National Health and Safety Director Jason McInnis, to ensure we are all following best practices and have a uniform response plan across Canada.
- We are requiring that anyone who is feeling ill or who has travelled outside of Canada recently, refrain from accepting any dispatches to jobs for a minimum of 14 days.
- The Harmac, Nanaimo shutdown that was scheduled for prep work to start today, with the shutdown to follow on Monday March 23, has been postponed. As we receive further information on a new start date we will advise the membership. If you were dispatched to the Harmac prep, please re-post your name under 40 hours.
- If jobs are cancelled, postponed or current jobs are put on hold, we will adjust our recall and dispatch provisions as required, and we will ensure that those who are currently working can return to those jobs when they re-start.
- We have posted general information and safety rules to help prevent COVID-19 from spreading rapidly in a previous post, so please read and follow those recommendations.
- The Federal Government has removed the 1 week waiting period for EI Benefits for sick benefits. See the link here https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/corporate/notices/coronavirus.html
Please keep in touch with the website and we will post more information as it becomes available.
Jordan Streng and Staff
Boilermakers Lodge 359